[Rd] complex NA's match(), etc: not back-compatible change proposal

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 3 13:05:41 CEST 2017

    > I am raising this again.

    > With
    > z <- complex(real = c(0,NaN,NaN), imaginary = c(NA,NA,0)) ,
    > results of
    > 	      sapply(z, match, table = z)
    > and
    >	      match(z, z)
    > are different in R 3.4.0 alpha. I think they should be the same.

    > I suggest changing 'cequal' in unique.c such that a
    > complex number that has both NA and NaN matches NA and
    > doesn't match NaN, as such complex number is printed as NA.

Thank you very much, Suharto, for the reminder.

I have committed a change to R-devel yesterday, though
your suggestion above had not been 100% clear to me.

What I think we want and I decided to commit
  r72473 | maechler | 2017-04-02 22:23:56 +0200 (Sun, 02 Apr 2017)

was to entirely mimic how R format()s and prints() complex numbers:

1) If a complex number has a real or imaginary which is NA then
   it is formatted / printed as "NA"
   ==>  All such complex numbers should match()
   i.e. match(), unique(), duplicated() treat such complex
   numbers as "the same".

2) The picture is very different with (non-NA)  NaN:
   There, R formats and prints  NaN+1i  or NaN+99i  or 0+1i*NaN
   differently, and [in R-devel only, planned in R 3.4.0 alpha
   in a day or two!]
   match(), unique(), duplicated() now treat them as different.

The change is more consistent notably does give the same result

for   match(z,z)
and   sapply(z, match, table = z)

for a variety of z (permutations).