[Rd] src/Makevars ignored ?

Bob Rudis bob at rud.is
Tue Sep 27 17:47:11 CEST 2016

You're then asking CRAN to violate your "ideal contract" w/r/t compiler
switching inside src/Makevars since CRAN needs to setup and produce
standard, predictable, repeatable builds, including binary generation for
two platforms (much to Dirk's chagrin, there _are_ other operating systems
besides Debian linux ;-)

I wouldn't want CRAN to honor said compiler switching inside src/Makevars
but the way you're describing the perceived contract, you're implying they
should.

I totally understand your posit, but there's a larger universe to consider
than internal package builds. In a sense you really want an R version of
Rule of Acquisition #17 "A contract is a contract is a contract... but only
on my internal systems." and that doesn't seem like a good idea to me when
the larger universe of CRAN and the need for baseline standard package
builds are considered.