[Rd] src/Makevars ignored ?

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:17:29 CEST 2016

As a package author, it is in my opinion irresponsible to override these
system settings (which is why it is also impossible).  You have no idea
what system it is being deployed on, I mean, you don't even know if the
compiler is gcc. If a user wants (say) heavy optimization they will compile
R with optimization.  (For this reason I also don't think users should
modify their ~/.R/Makevars, unless for testing purposes).  The exception is
(in my opinion) if you need to decrease the level of optimization because
you know or suspect the compiler to generate wrong code.

What you should do, is use
  PKG_CFLAGS
as documented in R-exts, 1.2.1 under "Using Makevars".

Best,
Kasper