[Rd] Undocumented 'use.names' argument to c()

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 26 18:26:25 CEST 2016

    > By "an argument named 'use.names' is included for concatenation", I meant something like this, that someone might try.
    >> c(as.Date("2016-01-01"), use.names=FALSE)
    > use.names
    > "2016-01-01" "1970-01-01"

    > See, 'use.names' is in the output. That's precisely because 'c.Date' doesn't have 'use.names', so that 'use.names' is absorbed into '...'.

Yes, of course.
Thank you for the explanation; now I understand what you meant.

Indeed, the situation is not entirely satisfactory:

Ideally, *both* the  'recursive' and 'use.names' arguments of
c() should be considered arguments of only the *default* method of c(),
not the generic.

OTOH, c() being .Primitive() the implementation is in C only,
and (in some sense) of *both* the generic function and the
default method.
The C code clearly treats  'recursive' and 'use.names' "the
same", and has been part of R "forever".

I think that ideally, we should aim for

1) The generic function  c()  only has arguments "..." (or possibly
   ---  because of history of the S4 part ---  "x, ...").

2) The default method has additional arguments
       'recursive = FALSE, use.names = TRUE'
   and other methods of c() can choose if they want to also
   support one or two or none of these extras.

Somewhat related, but in principle independent of '1)'
and '2)' above  -- I think, because of the ".Primitive"-ness of c() --
is the quite how 'c' should print in R.
Currently it prints like what I say should just be the default
method.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it would be straightforward or even
just relatively painless to go to  '1) + 2)' ... may change
r71349 (to the S4 generic definition of "c") had dramatical
effects in "package land" and hence reversion of that (with
r71354) was necessary, for the time being.

Martin