[Rd] Different results for tan(pi/2) and tanpi(1/2)

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Sep 9 20:44:27 CEST 2016

It should be the case that tan(pi*x) != tanpi(x) in many cases - that is
why it was added.  The limits from below and below of the real function
tan(pi*x) as x approaches 1/2 are different, +Inf and -Inf, so the limit is
not well defined.   Hence the computer function tanpi(1/2) ought to return
Not-a-Number.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com