[Rd] forgive possible repost: alternate bzip2 library

Ramón Fallon ramonfallon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 13:21:48 CEST 2016

Hi,

I am resubmitting a question, mainly because I suspect I may have
inadvertently cancelled it, while it was awaiting moderator approval.

It's about manually compiling R-3.3.1 and using, not the standard system's
(ver 1.0.5), but an alternate a bzip2 (v1.0.6) which is located in a
non-standard location.

I usually lean on pkg-config to deal with issues like this. I've create an
appropriate bzip2.pc file for bzip2 for this purpose.

I've been focusing on the configure script, which at 50K lines is quite
hefty and my initial question was whether the R compile configure script
used pkg-config for locating headers and libraries.

My feeling now is that the answer is "sometimes". In locating
cairographics, it says it does, but for bzip2 I think it uses autoconf's
dubious magic. Don't know if anybody can confirm this.

I could modify the configure so that it looks for bzip2 via pkg-config but
manual modification of this script is probably not proper practice, as well
as being very time consuming.

Any guidance appreaicted. Many thanks.