[Rd] CRAN packages maintained by you

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Sep 2 16:02:18 CEST 2016

On 2 September 2016 at 14:54, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have the same problem and, at a first look, the issues reported by the
| CRAN checks seemed easy to fix. However, after checking it again locally
| and on http://win-builder.r-project.org it appeared that GCC 4.9.3
| (Windows, Rtools 3.4), same also on win-builder reports even more
| issues, especially legacy Fortran (mainly Roger's #2 and #3), but also
|
| "warning: ISO C forbids conversion of object pointer to function pointer
| type"
|
| The latter results from using pointers returned by R_ExternalPtrAddr()
| for calling user-defined functions in DLLs, cf. the following thread
| from the very beginning:
| https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2004-September/030792.html
|
| What is now expected to do?
|
| 1. Is it really the intention to start a complete rewrite of all legacy
| Fortran code?
|
| 2. Is there now a better way for calling user functions than
| R_ExternalPtrAddr()?

See this commit (where I apologize for referring to GitHub as the
non-canonical source, but it presents things in pretty enough manner) by
Brian Ripley just a few days ago:

  https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/a528a69b98d3e763c39cfabf9b4a9e398651177c

So R 3.4.0 will have R_MakeExternalPtrFn() and R_ExternalPtrAddrFn().

(Hat tip to Duncan's very useful NEWS summary robot-blog which I read daily).

Dirk