[Rd] BUG?: On Linux setTimeLimit() fails to propagate timeout error when it occurs (works on Windows)

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Thu Oct 27 18:26:22 CEST 2016

On unix, unless event polling is enabled Sys.sleep just waits in a
select() call (with a SIGINT handler in place) so the elapsed time
isn't checked until after the select call is complete. Rstudio uses
event polling, and in particular sets R_wait_usec to 10000, which
means event and interrupt checks happen during a Sys.seep call.  The R
GUI on macOS doesn't seem to do this (but my lldb skills aren't up to
checking). Now that we have this elapsed time limit mechanism it might
be a good idea to set the default for R_wait_usec to something
reasonable on unix in general. 100000 might be a good value.

A more worrying thing I noticed while looking at this is that blocking
reads on fifos and pipes and probably sockets are not interruptable --
that should probably be looked into.

Best,

luke