[Rd] shared libraries: missing soname

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Wed Nov 23 11:22:41 CET 2016

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:
> To the issue:  I also don't see what your point is.
> R works with these so libraries  as intended  in all cases as
> far as we know, and so I don't understand why anything needs to
> be changed.
> All these libraries "belong to R" and are tied to a specific
> version of R  and are not be used outside of R,  so I also don't see
> your point.

"are not to be used outside of R".  You are distributing shared libraries that
aren't meant to be shared (outside of R)?  But they are.  And I gave an example.

This is the first sentence of section 3.1.1 [1] of the Linux Documentation
Project's -Program Library HOWTO-, "Every shared library has a special name
called the 'soname'".  I'll ask again, since this was ignored the two previous
times I asked it (but I don't expect an answer).  Are there any constructive
reasons not to include a proper soname in the shared libraries?

I will just patch the FreeBSD port.

Joseph

[1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html#AEN46