[Rd] Suggestion: mkString(NULL) should be NA

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Wed May 25 17:43:04 CEST 2016

On Wed, 25 May 2016, Tim Keitt wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Michael Lawrence <lawrence.michael at gene.com
>> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Jeroen Ooms <jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu>
>> wrote:
>>

> I'm not disagreeing with what's been said in this thread, but I can't help
> but recall that I brought up this exact issue probably 15 years ago and was
> told (by Brian, I believe) "don't do that" (pass a null pointer), which was
> perfectly fine. The real issue was not the behavior but that it was not
> documented or consistent. I've lived by the mantra since that you can never
> trust a pointer in R code. User must always check for NULL.

In _C_ code.  This is true whether you are calling into the R C API or
any other C library: you as the C programmer need to make sure either
that passing NULL is OK or make sure you don't do that.

I wouldn't object to mkXXX checking for NULL and signaling an error
instead of segfaulting, but good C code calling mkXXX should still
typically do its own check and handle the situation in an appropriate
way.

Best,

luke