[Rd] R without graphics

Mick Jordan mick.jordan at oracle.com
Tue May 24 16:48:03 CEST 2016

On 5/23/16 10:46 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On 24/05/2016 00:54, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>> Um... any reason why you don't simply disable aqua? That file is only
>> compiled if you enable aqua - it has really nothing to do with
>> grDevices ...
>
> Also, you can specify a compiler for Objective-C separately and the
> manual advises you to do so (to specify Apple's clang).
Tried that, but I have to use an old version of clang that can't handle
the code. But --with-aqua=no was the solution.

>> On May 23, 2016, at 7:44 PM, Mick Jordan <mick.jordan at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to configure and build an R without any graphics
>>> support. I..e no grDevices or graphics packages?
>>>
>>> I tried "--with-x=no  --with-cairo=no --with-grDevices=no
>>> --with-graphics=no"
>
> Inventing flags does not help you: use configure --help to see what is
> supported (as the manual says).

I have learnt that R manuals are frequently inaccurate or out of date.
So from the ./configure script:

Optional Packages:
   --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]

which is why I tried --with-grDevices=no

> Reading the manual is faster than posting (and posting Mac-specific Qs
> to R-sig-mac is more likely to get an informed response).

I don't need this kind of grief. I hereby sign off from posting to this
list.

Mick Jordan