[Rd] identical on closures

Mick Jordan mick.jordan at oracle.com
Fri May 20 21:40:44 CEST 2016

I'm confused by this:

 > identical(function() {}, function() {})
[1] FALSE

Yet, after loading the Matrix package (which redefines det), the
following is checked (in library.checkConflicts):

 > identical(get("det", baseenv()), get("det", asNamespace("Matrix")),
ignore.environment=T)
[1] TRUE

I've looked at the code in identical.c and for closures it seems to
compare the FORMALS and the BODY_EXPR, so why does the first example not
return TRUE as surely the formals and body are identical?

     case CLOSXP:
     return(R_compute_identical(FORMALS(x), FORMALS(y), flags) &&
            R_compute_identical(BODY_EXPR(x), BODY_EXPR(y), flags) &&
            (IGNORE_ENV || CLOENV(x) == CLOENV(y) ? TRUE : FALSE) &&
            (IGNORE_BYTECODE || R_compute_identical(BODY(x), BODY(y),
flags))
            );

R-3.2.4, Mac OS X El Capitan

Thanks