[Rd] Latest R-devel build failing on OS X

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu May 19 10:26:44 CEST 2016

    > Readline <= 6.2 shouldn't require the SIGWINCH patch, so
    > if older versions have trouble finding rl_resize_terminal
    > then you could wrap a macro around that part.

I find python related patches that use

#ifdef HAVE_RL_RESIZE_TERMINAL

so they must have configured for that.  We could and probably
should do the same,  but as a Linux_only guy currently (even
basically only one flavor of Linux), I'd appreciate others to
produce code for that.

    > The isearch C-c bug has existed forever, according to Chet Ramey.

I see.  As your patch seems to only work for readline (>=) 6.3,
we have solved part of the problems.
If those who use olders readlines are willing to test and
provide (well looking, as yours) patches for earlier versions,
they should be welcome too.

    > Yes, I had to retrain myself to use C-g to exit
    > isearch but it's confusing.  It would be nice to fix this
    > C-c bug on older versions too, but my solution used some
    > global variables and I'm not sure which Readline version
    > they date from.

    > Out of curiosity, did you delete the
    > HAVE_READLINE_READLINE_H block?

Not yet...I've even kept your suggestion about it in the
source comments.
Note you can always point your web browser at
  https://svn.r-project.org/trunk/R/  which contains upto the
minute current R development sources (it *is* our apache based
subversion server), i.e., the file in this case is
  https://svn.r-project.org/trunk/R/src/unix/sys-std.c

{or you can use the github *mirror* of the svn server which provides
 version/revision/log etc  ((this be available for svn as well,
 but we (I) had chosen not to provide (via apache modules) just
 to keep our server as bare bones as possible and  hence less
 vulnerable to viciousities))
}