[Rd] Is it possible to increase MAX_NUM_DLLS in future R releases?

Qin Zhu qinzhu at outlook.com
Fri May 6 17:33:37 CEST 2016

Thanks for all your great answers.

The app I’m working on is indeed an exploratory data analysis tool for gene expression, which requires a bunch of bioconductor packages.

I guess for now, my best solution is to divide my app into modules and load/unload packages as the user switch from one module to another.

This brought me another question: it seems that unload package with the detach/unloadNamespace function does not unload the DLLs, or in the case of the "SCDE" package, not all dependent DLLs:

> length(getLoadedDLLs())
[1] 9
> requireNamespace("scde")
> length(getLoadedDLLs())
[1] 34
> unloadNamespace("scde")
now dyn.unload("/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library/scde/libs/scde.so") ...
> length(getLoadedDLLs())
[1] 33

Does that mean I should use dyn.unload to unload whatever I think is associated with that package when the user’s done using it? I’m a little nervous about this because this seems to be OS dependent and previous versions of my app are running on both windows and macs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I’d appreciate if the MAX_NUM_DLLS can be increased.

Thanks,
Qin