[Rd] [FORGED] Different results based on the order of arguments to par

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:31:18 CET 2016

Paul,

I was trying to make a minimal self contained example, but I guess I
went too far on the minimizing.  The original problem came from code
more like:

library(TeachingDemos)

hist(rexp(1000), main='')
abline( v=1, col='red')

sp.par <- subplot(hist(rnorm(100), main=''), x='topright')

op <- par(sp.par[c('usr', 'plt')])
abline(v=0, col='red')
par(op)

and so plot.new, plot.window, etc. are called as part of the sub plot
(specifically by hist(rnorm(100))) and I am trying to go back and add
a reference line to the subplot so the user coordinates need to be set
back to match the subplot (and the plotting region needs to be set so
that the line is clipped appropriately).  With the code as above the
user coordinates are not changed appropriately, in fact if 'xpd=NA' is
added to the par call then the vertical line is added at 0 on the big
histogram, not the little one as planned.

If the order is changed in the call to par ( op <-
par(sp.par[c('plt','usr')]) ) then everything works as planned.  It
just seems a potential danger to have different behavior when the
order of the arguments change without this fact at least documented.

Maybe a warning and additional examples in the subplot documentation
will be sufficient, since nobody else seems to have complained about
this yet.  But, I am vain enough to think that somewhere in the world
there is someone else who will make as stupid a mistake as me, so
wanted to make others aware.  If nothing else, the next person (which
may be forgetful future me) may see this in a search and at least know
to order the arguments correctly.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538280 at gmail.com