[Rd] getGraphicsEvent on X11 and event queuing; Makefile.in

frederik at ofb.net frederik at ofb.net
Sun Jun 12 05:49:20 CEST 2016

Hi Martin,

Thanks for getting back about getGraphicsEvent.

I got an off-list reply from someone who echoed the annoyance with
lack of Cairo support, and also provided some interesting examples of
his own use of getGraphicsEvent. Thank you for the invitation to
contribute patches; I don't know what my upcoming priorities will be
like but it's good to know that you would consider using my code.

Speaking of which, I just did an 'svn update' and noticed that
Makefile.in has the same line that I asked about earlier:

        @if test ! -f "$(srcdir)/doc/FAQ" || test -f non-tarball ; then \

But, my earlier suggestion to change this to $(srcdir)/non-tarball was
wrong because it doesn't seem to fix anything. In fact the
"non-tarball" exists in the build directory so it was OK to test for
it there. Sorry about that!

Apparently building in a separate directory, when a build has already
been started in the source directory, is still broken. I just checked
this with a clean "svn checkout". Even if I start a successful build
in a separate build directory, cancel it with SIGINT, start a build in
the source directory, cancel that, and then try to continue the
build-directory build, I get an error:

    make[1]: Entering directory '/home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R-svn-build/doc/manual'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'front-matter'.
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'html-non-svn'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R-svn-build/doc/manual'
    SVN-REVISION is unchanged
    make[1]: Entering directory '/home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R-svn-build/m4'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'R'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R-svn-build/m4'
    make[1]: Entering directory '/home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R-svn-build/tools'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'R'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R-svn-build/tools'
    make[1]: Entering directory '/home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R-svn-build/doc'
    /usr/bin/install: cannot stat '../../R-svn/doc/NEWS': No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/install: cannot stat '../../R-svn/doc/NEWS.pdf': No such file or directory
    Makefile:164: recipe for target 'svnonly' failed
    make[1]: *** [svnonly] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R-svn-build/doc'
    Makefile:60: recipe for target 'R' failed
    make: *** [R] Error 1

I'm somewhat stumped... I had thought that removing doc/FAQ would fix
it, but it doesn't. I don't know what else could have been done by
'make' in the source directory which is confusing the build-directory
build.

Thanks,

Frederick