[Rd] Source code of early S versions

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Mon Feb 29 19:17:33 CET 2016

The Wikipedia statement may be a bit misleading.

S was never open source.  Source versions would only have been available with a nondisclosure agreement, and relatively few copies would have been distributed in source.  There was a small but valuable "beta test" network, mainly university statistics departments.

And two shameless plugs:

1.  there is a chapter on the history of all this in my forthcoming book on "Extending R"

2. Rick Becker will give a keynote talk on the history of S at the useR! 2016 conference (user2016.org); 2016 is the 40th anniversary of the first work on S.

John

PS:  somehow "historical" would be less unnerving than "archeological"