[Rd] Request: Increasing MAX_NUM_DLLS in Rdynload.c

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 20 17:40:00 CET 2016

    > Thanks Henrik this is very helpful! I will try this out on our tests and
    > see if gcDLLs() has a positive effect.

    > mlr currently has tests broken down by learner type such as classification,
    > regression, forecasting, clustering, etc.. There are 83 classifiers alone
    > so even when loading and unloading across learner types we can still hit
    > the MAX_NUM_DLLS error, meaning we'll have to break them down further (or
    > maybe we can be clever with gcDLLs()?). I'm CC'ing Lars Kotthoff and Bernd
    > Bischl to make sure I am representing the issue well.

This came up *here* in May 2015
and then May 2016 ... did you not find it when googling.

Hint:  Use
       site:stat.ethz.ch MAX_NUM_DLLS
as search string in Google, so it will basically only search the
R mailing list archives

Here's the start of that thread :

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2016-May/072637.html

There was not a clear conclusion back then, notably as
Prof Brian Ripley noted that 100 had already been an increase
and that a large number of loaded DLLs decreases look up speed.

OTOH (I think others have noted that) a large number of DLLs
only penalizes those who *do* load many, and we should probably
increase it.

Your use case of "hyper packages" which load many others
simultaneously is somewhat convincing to me... in so far as the
general feeling is that memory should be cheap and limits should
not be low.

(In spite of Brian Ripleys good reasons against it, I'd still
 aim for a *dynamic*, i.e. automatically increased list here).

Martin Maechler