[Rd] Spam messages

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Dec 6 17:41:36 CET 2016

Hi,

FWIW, I checked the R-Devel subscriber list of e-mail addresses (as Co-Admin with Martin I have access). There are presently 1,296 subscribers to individual posts and 746 to post digests on R-Devel.

Neither of the two e-mail addresses referenced below as being the sources of spam are listed as subscribers.

A Google search of those two e-mail addresses also came up empty. The "octbm.com <http://octbm.com/>" domain is legitimate, though the web site is "under construction" and the whois information shows that it was registered earlier this year by a person in Bangladesh who seems to own a large number of domains:

  http://www.domainiq.com/email?mesba.cit06@gmail.com

There are a lot of technical ways of falsely generating those two e-mail addresses of course and an inspection of the full e-mail headers might be fruitful, although there are ways of manipulating those as well.

Regards,

Marc