[Rd] ifelse() woes ... can we agree on a ifelse2() ?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Aug 7 09:51:58 CEST 2016

On 06.08.2016 17:30, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>        setReplaceMethod("[", c("logical,"logical","mpfr"),
>>                         function(x,i,value) .........)
>>
>>        but that currently fails as the C-low-level dispatch for '[<-'
>>        does not look at the full signature
>>      ]]
>>
>> I vaguely remember having seen proposals for
>> light weight substitutes for ifelse(),  called
>>  ifelse1() or
>>  ifelse2() etc...
>>
>> and I wonder if we should not try to see if there was a version
>> that could go into "base R" (maybe the 'utils' package, not
>>                                'base'; that's not so important).
>>
>> One difference to ifelse() would be that the type/mode/class of the
>> result
>> is not initialized by logical, by default but rather by the
>> "common type" of  yes and no ... maybe determined  by  c()'ing
>> parts of those.
>> The idea was that this would work for most S3 and S4 objects for
>> which logical 'length', (logical) indexing '[', and 'rep()' works.
>
> I think your description is more or less:
>
>    test <- as.logical(test)
>    ans <- c(yes, no)[seq_along(test)]
>    ans <- ans[seq_along(test)]
>    ans[ test] <- yes[test]
>    ans[!test] <- no[!test]
>
> (though the implementation details would vary, and recycling rules would
> apply if the lengths of test, yes and no weren't all equal).
>
> You didn't mention what happens with attributes.  Currently we keep the
> attributes from test, which probably doesn't make a lot of sense. In
> particular,
>
> ifelse(c(TRUE, FALSE), factor(2:3), factor(3:4))
>
> returns nonsense, as does my translation of your idea above.
>
> That implementation also drops attributes. I'd say this definition would
> make more sense:
>
>    test <- as.logical(test)
>    ans <- yes
>    ans[!test] <- no[!test]
>
> (and this is suggested as an alternative in ?ifelse).  It generates an
> error in my test example, which seems reasonable.  It gives the "right"
> thing in
>
> ifelse(c(TRUE, FALSE), factor(2:3), factor(3:2))
>
> because the factors have the same levels.
>
> The lack of symmetry between yes and no is slightly irksome, but I would
> think in most cases you could choose attributes from just one of yes and
> no to be what you want in the result (and use !test to swap the order if
> necessary).
>

>> One possibility would also be to consider  a "numbers-only" or
>> rather "same type"-only {e.g., would also work for characters}
>> version.
>
> I don't know what you mean by these.
>>
>> Of course, an ifelse2()  should also be more efficient than
>> ifelse() in typical "atomic" cases.
>
> I don't think it is obvious how to make it more efficient.  ifelse()
> already skips evaluation of yes or no if not needed.  (An argument could
> be made that it would be better to guarantee evaluation of both, but
> it's usually easy enough to do this explicitly, so I don't see a need.)

Same from here: I do not see how this can easily be made more efficient,
since evaluating ony parts causes a lot of copies of objects whichs
slows stuff down, hence you need some complexity in yes and no to make
evaluations of parts of them more efficient on R level.

Anyway, to solve the problem, we may want an add argument to ifelse2()
that allows for specification of the type of the result (as vapply does)?

Best,
Uwe