[Rd] paths for install and libraries?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 29 11:48:25 CEST 2016

    > I've written a fairly elaborate package (called "eoa")
    > that relies on functions from several other packages. I've
    > built the package into a zip file on Windows using
    > Hadley's devtools::build(binary = T) and have sent the zip
    > to a couple dozen people for testing. My package installs
    > fine, but some people are having trouble loading it. After
    > library(eoa), they get something like:

    > Error: could not load package tcltk2

    > In DESCRIPTION file, I use

    > Depends: tcltk, tcltk2, tkrplot
    > Imports: actuar, graphics, gsl, MASS, Matrix, tensorA

    > If, after getting the "could not load" message, the user
    > installs the required packages by hand, everything works
    > fine.

    > My understanding was that both the "Depends: " and the
    > "Imports: " lines in DESCRIPTION file direct R to
    > automatically install required packages that haven't been
    > previously installed.

All package installation happens via  install.packages(),
at least eventually.

If you look at the help page for that, it has always said that it
does not (as it cannot easily, in general!!) look at
dependencies when you do not install from a repository.

This question would clearly have belonged to R-help, not R-devel.
I'm CC ing to the help list and am asking all follow-ups to go
*only* to R-help, please.

Martin