[Rd] Default location where packages are stored under Windows

Tom Wenseleers Tom.Wenseleers at bio.kuleuven.be
Sat Sep 5 14:05:34 CEST 2015

With a default installation of R on Windows platforms, packages are stored under Program Files/R/R-3.X.X/library. This often causes permission problems, as this directory is always read only by default, requiring the user to either change permissions for that directory or to change the directory where packages are stored later on option wise through modification of .libPaths in .Rprofile. For most users I imagine this is slightly annoying, having to do this over and over. I was just wondering if the default directory to store packages on Windows platforms could therefore not better be made the personal library folder, Users/Username/Documents/R/win-library/3.XX/, or perhaps even better, Users/All Users/Documents/R/win-library/3.XX/, so that downloaded packages are available for all users ?