[Rd] MARC creator role (was: authorship and citation)

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Thu Oct 8 00:44:05 CEST 2015

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015, Tim Keitt wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think it was easier to (ab)use that role than to get a "Maintainer"
>> role added to the standard ones.

Also note that the "creator" in the MARC vocabulary is with respect to a
_resource_ - which is different from the creation of a _work_ by an
"author".

In the case of the CRAN repository, the individual resources are the
packages. And the maintainer is the person who is responsible for a
package (aka resource) being made available (aka created) on CRAN. Also,
the maintainer is the contact responsible for the resource.

Therefore, using the "author" role for those who have created the code
(aka work) and the "creator" role for those who have created the (CRAN)
package (aka resource) seemed appropriate.

> Why bother with the relators list at all?

Certainly, it is better to use a standard vocabulary than creating a new
domain-specific vocabulary to facilitate communication of the information
outside the domain. Therefore, both the "person" and the "bibentry"
objects try to follow models that were well established rather than
starting out from scratch.