[Rd] authorship and citation

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 6 21:59:06 CEST 2015

Adrian,

I am not on the CRAN  or R-core teams, so the following is my own view,
but...

> library(QCA)
>
> Users are encouraged to cite this package as:
>
>   Dusa, Adrian (2015). QCA: Qualitative Comparative Analysis. R Package
> Version 1.2-0,
>
> This is just an encouragement, not a requirement, and the official citation
> file meets the CRAN policies. Would that be acceptable?

At the very least, this is seems to be a flagrant violation of the *spirit*
of the CRAN policy, which AFAIK is intended to enforce acknowledgement of
the contributions of all copyright holders in the package. The fact that
you are trying to bypass the policy by suggesting users use an unofficial
citation which would not comply with the policy while maintaining an
official one which complies, but which you don't want users to see  is
probably a suggestion that you shouldn't do that.

Best,
~G