[Rd] R-devel no longer supports Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (insufficient PCRE version)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Nov 29 21:18:49 CET 2015

On 30 November 2015 at 08:54, Paul Murrell wrote:
| For the record, Dirk (after a couple of false starts and admirable
| persistance!) has got this to work for me.

[ This was entirely due to
  a) Debian transitioning to g++-5 support and relabeling all (rebuilt) C++
     libraries with a suffix 'v5' and
  b) this affecting pcre as well and
  c) me being slopping at first not noticing in the core library package and
  d) moreover me not noticing two subordinate pcre packages from the same
     build
  all which lead to the package manager not wanting to upgrade -- which was
  entirely correct.  We got that sorted out.

  "Usually" such transitions are much simpler; pcre happens to create a bunch
  of subpackages. ]

| So on Ubuntu 14.04, adding Dirk's PPA, followed by apt-get update pulls
| down a backport for libpcre3.

[ Said PPA is at

    https://launchpad.net/~edd/+archive/ubuntu/misc

  and you can install it via

    apt-get install python-software-properties
    add-apt-repository -y "ppa:edd/misc"
    apt-get update
    apt-get install libpcre3-dev

  which should do it. ]