[Rd] compile question

Michael Felt aixtools at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 17:47:12 CET 2015

On 2015-11-27 17:25, peter dalgaard wrote:
> The easiest way to find out is to look through the Makefile.in-s for lines with @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE at . E.g. in  src/include/Makefile.in
>
> $(srcdir)/config.h.in: @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@ $(srcdir)/stamp-h.in
> $(srcdir)/stamp-h.in: @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@ $(top_srcdir)/configure.ac $(top_builddir)/aclocal.m4
>          @TBD=`cd $(top_builddir); pwd`; \
>            cd $(top_srcdir)&&  $(AUTOHEADER) -I $${TBD}
>          @$(ECHO) timestamp>  $@ 2>  /dev/null
>
> (which I think is what bit you via a missing "autoheader" command). It usually boils down to disabling certain dependencies.)
>
> Notice that in maintainer-mode, the build_will_  (sometimes) modify files under $(top_srcdir), even if building in a separate directory. That is otherwise a big no-no, which is essentially why it is reserved for maintainers. (And the nightly builds try to ensure that not all even maintainers will be modifying certain source files. The tools for making them are somewhat flaky, and we don't all have the appropriate versions.)
For now, I shall just be a humble-packager.
When I have something I would like to suggest as a change, specific for
AIX, to configure.ac how can I submit that.

I shall hold back on changes to various Makefile.in (still need to learn
how automake could help with platform specific things. I see comments of
platform specific things (e.g., for Solaris), but not how they get
activated/used.

Regards,
Michael