[Rd] compile question

Michael Felt aixtools at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:26:02 CET 2015

On 2015-11-26 17:15, peter dalgaard wrote:
> If you do want to play with maintainer-mode, first check out
>
> https://developer.r-project.org/R-build-prerelease
>
> it is what is done in the nightly builds on OSX. (Actually Mavericks. The comment is old.)
>
> -pd

Very helpful.
I only ran the "sync", aclocal and autoconf commands - so what else
(extra) does 'maintainer-mode' do? On AIX I could think of adding
-Wl,-b:map=${object}.map (one of my new tricks for finding which library
is going to be used).

Other comments/questions:

a) the small change in configure.ac got rid of a lot of error/rather
warning messages from the binder (ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate
symbol:.myFavSymbol)
b) lost of ld warnings are going to be more difficult to resolve - as
they are being generated by the autoconf processing of gfortran -v - and
the placement of XXX_LIBADD flags (basically, in the way now - still
looking at where they get placed - are there "switches" for Makefile.in
processing?
c) looking backward and forward - a hint on where to look is
appreciated. In one of the m4 files /usr/local/include is defined as the
default include directory. However, it does not actually use
${prefix}/include which is what I would want. the looking backward part
- a month ago when I was working with R to get it ready for a project
(and then 32-bit was too small a memory model) - while compiling and
installing additional packages I was forced to use /usr/local/lib and
/usr/local/include. Would like to get away from that, if possible.
d) the biggest bother of all ;-| - a bug in AIX, and an undefined symbol
in /usr/lib/libm.a - You can look for a LONG time, and never get further
when an error like that sneaks in with an update!