[Rd] MKL Acceleration encouraging; need adjust package builds?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Nov 23 18:58:21 CET 2015

We said it before, but it bears repeating: BLAS is an interface.

So unless you use on a static library build, these library can be switch
after compilation and at essentially any point in time.  My (unfinished)
package gcbd shows how in its simple and vignette by comparing a number of
BLAS implementations.  See the (now dated) chart on page 9 of
  https://cran.rstudio.com/web/packages/gcbd/vignettes/gcbd.pdf
or this (old) blog post
  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2010/10/03/

While the charts could do with an update, they do show how eg reference blas
is clearly outperformed by Atlas or GotoBLAS (the predecessor to OpebBLAS).

Hope this helps,  Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org