[Rd] Puzzled by eval

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:47:33 CET 2015

On 06/11/2015 8:20 AM, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. wrote:
> Duncan,
>     That's helpful.  Two follow-up questions:
> 1. Where would I have found this information?  I had looked at eval and model.frame.

I think the best description is Luke's article on namespaces, "Name
space management for R". Luke Tierney, R News, 3(1):2-6, June 2003.
There's a link to it from the "Technical papers" section of the HTML
help index.  There's also a short description of this in the R Language
Definition manual in the "Search path" section 3.5.4.

> 2. What stops the following code from falling down the same rabbit hole?  Shouldn't it
> find base::cos first?
>
>      library(survival)
>      cos <- lung
>      coxph(Surv(time, status) ~ age, data=cos)

If that code is in a function anywhere (package or not), cos will be a
local variable created there in the evaluation environment created when
you evaluate the function.  If you execute it at the command line,
you'll create a variable called "cos" in the global environment.  Local
variables come ahead of the 3 places I listed.  (This is why Luke's
article is good:  it doesn't oversimplify.)

There's one other twist.  Even with cos being a local variable,
cos(theta) would find base::cos, because the evaluator knows it is
looking for a function (since it's a function call) and will skip over
the local dataframe named cos.

Duncan Murdoch