[Rd] Major Platform Discrepancies

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 23:50:18 CET 2015

> On 03 Nov 2015, at 23:04 , Joseph Wood <jwood000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I posted a question on stackoverflow dealing with determining elemental
> existence in a vector, and to my surprise, the method that was brutally
> slow for me on my PC was insanely fast on one of the member's platform (he
> was running Linux).  You can view the details here.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33453141/most-efficient-way-to-determine-if-element-exists-in-a-vector
>
> I didn't know if this was something that needed to be addressed.

Well, since one platform was R 3.2.1 and the other was R-devel, it might just be worth checking the NEWS.Rd file for items like

     \item \code{match(x, table)} is faster, sometimes by an order of
      magnitude, when \code{x} is of length one and \code{incomparables}
      is unchanged, thanks to Haverty's \PR{16491}.

-pd