[Rd] Understanding why "no metadata object found ... not exported?" warnings from the methods package exist, and what they mean

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Fri Mar 13 22:11:12 CET 2015

On looking more closely, the purpose of finding the class definition is to update the entry for the new relationship, as the warning message suggests.  That requires that the namespace holding the definition be writable.

In the case of subclass information, the original namespace is very likely to be locked, if it's not the package currently being loaded.  Copying the definition in order to update subclass information seems the only reasonable choice, and no warning message is needed.

A revised version will omit this message.