[Rd] Best way to handle dependency on non-CRAN package / large data package?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Mar 12 22:57:27 CET 2015

Ari,

On 12 March 2015 at 14:29, arilamstein at gmail.com wrote:
| I'm interested in pursing this but I haven't been able to figure how to to make
| it work.  Here's what I have so far:
|
| install.packages("drat")
| library(drat)
| addRepo("arilamstein")
|
| I (obviously) have a copy of the choroplethrZip github repo locally. I typed:
|
| git checkout gh-pages
| git push

Drat makes one simple assumption (in the one / default argument case): that
the repo is called  'drat'  within gh repo of the given user. Ie using
addRepo("arilamstein")  requires that   ttps://github.com/arilamstin/drat/
exists and has a gh-pages branch. Drat would not know about  choroplethrZip

Which is why the docs say 'easiest to just fork the drat repo'. That give you
arilmastein/drat and gh-pages in one swoop.

In the expanded form you can give any (http or file) URL, that is was use at
work for files shared via the local network.

Please try this, and if you need more follow-up we may want to move off-list
now.  You have a pretty good use case so I want to help you with this.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org