[Rd] Notes on building a gcc toolchain for Rtools (but not multilib)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 21:30:20 CET 2015

On 09/03/2015 1:40 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 11:07 AM, Hsiu-Khuern Tang wrote:

> > > I am planning to put a new Rtools online today that uses a different
> > > build of gcc 4.9.2.  I will be concentrating on getting it to work with
> > > all the external libraries before the 3.2.0 release next month.  I'm not
> > > planning to try to get it to work with R-patched, and I expect it won't:
> > >  I needed to make a number of patches to R-devel for compatibility.
> >
> > I also worked off R-devel (I said wrongly that it was R-patched in my
> > original post) and benefited from your compatibility changes.
> >
> > I look forward to the new Rtools and will test it by compiling some packages.
>
> It's now on the main site at CRAN, and should propagate to the mirrors
> reasonably quickly.  I'm hoping that tomorrow's R-devel build will use
> it, but there may be some last minute problems.

I think R-devel will have some trouble finding the compilers if they
aren't in the default install locations in c:\Rtools.  This should be
fixed in a few days, probably by requiring an environment variable to
specify where Rtools is installed.

In the meantime, if you get "gcc not found" errors, you can manually
edit the etc/*/Makeconf file in the R-devel binary install, and set
BINPREF to  <Rtools>/gcc492_32/bin/ for *=i386, and set BINPREF64 to
<Rtools>/gcc492_64/bin/ for *=x64.

Duncan Murdoch