[Rd] Notes on building a gcc toolchain for Rtools (but not multilib)

Avraham Adler avraham.adler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:10:30 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is also not multilib.  It uses static linking of libraries, and SJLJ
> exception handling in both 32 and 64 bit builds -- this is necessary for
> compatibility with existing compiles of external libraries, but may not
> be ideal in 64 bits.  However, I believe using SEH will mean static
> linking is impossible, and that leads to problems distributing run-time
> DLLs, and I'd rather not worry about those.

That is great news, Dr. Murdoch.

I know that ICU, curl, and the files in goodies (lzma, jpeg ,etc.) are
now external libraries necessary for compiling R. Is that all, or are
there (many) others of which I am unaware? I understand that given the
release date of 3.2.0, the focus needs to be on having a functional
toolset and all that entails, and if that means sjlj is used for now,
that is perfectly reasonable.

However, if the number of such external libraries is manageable, would
it make sense to recompile /them/ using an seh toolchain to take
advantage of the increased performance?

Thank you,

Avi