[Rd] Improving string concatenation

Joshua Bradley jgbradley1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 04:30:04 CEST 2015

One of the poster's on the SO post I linked to previously suggested this
but if '+' were made to be S4 compliant, then adding the ability to concat
strings with '+' would be a relatively simple addition (no pun intended) to
the code base I believe. With a lot of other languages supporting this kind
of concatenation, this is what surprised me most when first learning R.

This is where my (lack of) experience in R starts to show and why I brought
up the question about performance. I'm wondering how bad performance would
be effected by making '+' (or all arithmetic operators in general) S4
compliant.

Josh Bradley