[Rd] Lack of protection bug in current R release candidate

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 15 16:24:00 CEST 2015

    >> > The current R release candidate has a lack of protect bug
    >> > (of very long standing)
    >>
    >> [ but not really reported,  right ? ]

    > It's "long standing" because it exists in versions of R going
    > back many years.

    >> but the R 3.2.1 release candidate probably really cannot be
    >> touched now, with something non-trivial like this.
    >>
    >> We'd be *very* happy to get such problems during alpha or beta
    >> testing phase (or even before).

    > I'm not sure what you mean to imply here, but for your information,
    > I reported the bug to r-devel within about an hour of finding
    > what caused it.  (I'd noticed the symptoms a few days before, but
    > hadn't isolated the cause.)

    > Radford Neal

Thank you, now I understand.
I really  completely misinterpreted your "very long standing"
above.

Hence I do apologize for the negative connotation of the
above... and thank you again -- in the name of all involved --
for reporting the bug here!

BTW: I've committed  svn rev 68519
about ten minutes ago which does fix the bug (simply applying your good advice)
and contains a regression test.

Thank you once more, Radford!
Martin Maechler