[Rd] NEWS.md support on CRAN

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:32:49 CEST 2015

On 05/06/2015 8:16 AM, Thomas J. Leeper wrote:
> It's disappointing that many packages do not have a NEWS file. Perhaps
> CRAN should require NEWS or CHANGELOG, as long as the system is being
> reformed to potentially accommodate markdown anyway.

I think we should all be careful about suggesting work for other
people.  This would be a huge amount of work, probably hundreds of hours
in aggregate, for all those package authors and the CRAN maintainers.

On the other hand, we can gently nudge package authors to better
practices.  When we talk in public about R packages, we should point out
that we use a certain list of characteristics to judge their quality.
My list includes:

  - Is it on CRAN?
  - Does it have an overview vignette?
  - Is it updated fairly regularly?
  - Do most of the help pages include examples?
  - Will it install on my OS without much trouble?

Your list could include

  - Does it have a readable NEWS file?

I do use packages which have negative answers to some of those
questions, but they definitely influence my choice when I'm looking at a
package for the first time.

Duncan Murdoch