[Rd] NEWS.md support on CRAN

Mark van der Loo mark.vanderloo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 08:53:36 CEST 2015

@Gavin: My aim was to point out that the ability to mix developer-facing
documentation with user-facing documentation is not a good reason to want
to support md.

I agree with Duncan that links to within a package would be useful (not
sure if NEWS.Rd supports this).

I'm not so convinced that package authors that do not even add a plain text
NEWS file will create a NEWS.md file.

Adding NEWS.md means we now have three ways to specify the NEWS:

- a plain text NEWS file; following the GNU recommendations
- NEWS.Rd
- NEWS.md

Would it not be more elegant to have e.g. roxygen2 generate NEWS.Rd?
(perhaps it is already possible, I'm not sure of that). I don't maintain
CRAN, but I know what I would prefer..

Cheers,
Mark

​