[Rd] NEWS.md support on CRAN

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 2 22:31:55 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Jeroen Ooms <jeroenooms at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 8:42 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Several of us have been talking about this, and have more or less
> decided against pandoc for the within-R version.  It is too hard to build,
> or to include with R, on weird platforms. Something like commonmark is more
> likely. We'd also like to separate the parse and render steps.
>
> The commonmark::markdown_xml function gives the parse tree in xml
> format. From there we could use something like xpath to query the
> content for individual news items and such. I think this is a more
> practical way of exposing the syntax tree than deeply nested lists or
> an external pointer to the internal C handle.

I don't think it should matter what the internal representation is here. So
long as there is proper tooling (query methods, [ and [[, names, etc)
around whatever class is returned, the user won't ever even know.

XPath is certainly a good way to implement those things, but I don't know
if we'd want it to be the actual abstraction users/developers use to
interact with the tree. Thinking about the right way to consume ASTs
represented by R objects (and how those objects should be
structured/implemented) could have applications well beyond markdown as
well, some of which may not have a canonical/direct XML representation.

~G