[Rd] Installing/updating packages on a lab network

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Wed Jul 29 17:11:10 CEST 2015

On 7/28/2015 1:32 PM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
> Just add the line
>
> R_LIBS_SITE=F:/R/library
>
> to the file R_HOME/etc/x64/Renviron.site
Thanks, Uwe

I have no way to test this and our IT people who do the installation
know nothing of R, so follow-up questions:

*  There is no R_HOME/etc/x64/Renviron.site file, but there is a
R_HOME/etc/Rprofile.site I can modify and
ask them to install.  Would the equivalent in Rprofile.site be
Sys.setenv(R_LIBS_SITE="F:/R/library")

* Does this require that the R_LIBS_SITE folder exist and be writable by
the user?

  Here is what I see in the current version:

   .libPaths(), the library trees where R looks for packages gives:
   [1] "G:/uitapps/HEBB_R_LIB2/library"
   [2] "C:/Program Files/R/R/R-3.1.1/library"

   If I try to install a new package, e.g.,
   install.packages("rockchalk")

   I get "G:/uitapps/HEBB_R_LIB2/library is not writeable.  Use a
personal library instead?", followed by a popup window,
   "Create ~R/library? (y/n)"

   This then installs the package, but to
"C:/Users/friendly/Desktop/~R/library".  In the current login session,
.libPaths() will
   then have this path, so in a new R session, load(rockchalk) will work.

   However, once I logout, all that disappears, so I have to start over
again to install or update a package.

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, Quantitative Methods