[Rd] [Q] Get formal arguments of my implemented S4 method

Roebuck,Paul L PLRoebuck at mdanderson.org
Wed Jan 28 18:02:29 CET 2015

Interrogating some (of my own) code in another package.

>norm.meth <- getMethod("normalize", "MatrixLike")
>message("str(norm.meth)")
>str(norm.meth)

>message("show(norm.meth at .Data)")
>show(norm.meth at .Data)

Last show() displays this:

function (object, ...)
{
    .local <- function (object, method = c("median", "vs", "tukey"),
        calc.medians = TRUE, sweep.cols = calc.medians,
        recalc.after.sweep = sweep.cols, ...)
    {
        .do_normalize(object,
            method = match.arg(method),
            calc.medians = calc.medians,
            sweep.cols = sweep.cols,
            recalc.after.sweep = recalc.after.sweep,
            ...)
    }
    .local(object, ...)
}

Desire to be able to access formals() for the .local() function definition,
not the generic one. Have seen information desired available via "defined"
slot of returned 'MethodDefinition' object, but not using the code below.

====================

library(methods)

if (!isGeneric("normalize")) {
    ## Other packages also define this generic...
    setGeneric("normalize",
               function(object, ...) standardGeneric("normalize"))
}

setClassUnion("MatrixLike", c("matrix", "data.frame"))

.do_normalize <- function(concs,
                          method,
                          calc.medians,
                          sweep.cols,
                          recalc.after.sweep,
                          ...) {
    message("internal routine called!")
    NULL
}

setMethod("normalize", signature(object="MatrixLike"),
          function(object,
                   method=c("median", "vs", "tukey"),
                   calc.medians=TRUE,
                   sweep.cols=calc.medians,