[Rd] R CMD check message: "The following files should probably not be installed"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 09:52:12 CET 2015

On 25/01/2015 23:25, John Maindonald wrote:
> I am doing [R version 3.1.2 (2014-10-31) -- "Pumpkin Helmet”; Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0 (64-bit)]
>
>> R CMD build DAAGviz
>> R CMD check DAAGviz_1.0.3.tar.gz
>
> Without a .Rinstignore file, I get:
>
> <<<
> The following files should probably not be installed:
>    ‘figs10.pdf’, ‘figs11.pdf’, ‘figs12.pdf’, ‘figs13.pdf’, ‘figs14.pdf’,
>    ‘figs5.pdf’, ‘figs6.pdf’, ‘figs9.pdf’
>
> Consider the use of a .Rinstignore file: see ‘Writing R Extensions’,
> or move the vignette sources from ‘inst/doc’ to ‘vignettes’.
>>>>

> The vignette sources were in ‘vignettes’ when DAAGviz_1.0.3.tar.gz was created.  There was nothing in the ‘inst/doc’ directory.
>
> If I have in my .Rinstignore file
>
>    inst/doc/.*[.]pdf

That filters out more than the files warned about.  I guess you meant

inst/doc/figs.*[.]pdf

But the question has to be: how did the files get copied into inst/doc?
  Maybe

'When R CMD build builds the vignettes, it copies these and the vignette
sources from directory vignettes to inst/doc. To install any other files
from the vignettes directory, include a file vignettes/.install_extras
which specifies these as Perl-like regular expressions on one or more
lines. (See the description of the .Rinstignore file for full details.)'

suggests how?

> then I get:
>
> <<<
> * checking package vignettes in ‘inst/doc’ ... WARNING
> Package vignettes without corresponding PDF/HTML:
> . . .
>>>>

> What am I missing?  Can I ignore the "The following files should probably not be installed” message?

Not if you want to submit the package to CRAN.