[Rd] Package Dependency

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 20:27:27 CET 2015

On 01/12/2015 2:19 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Lately, I see a dependency problem with R-3.2 systems.
> install.packages allows dependencies, but they are not installed so
> the install fails.

You are saying you only want dependencies listed in the "Depends" field
of DESCRIPTION.  Many packages nowadays have dependencies listed in
"Imports", because that's now the recommended way to do it.  Those are
not optional.

Imports are loaded, but don't affect the search path, so that's why
they're preferred over Depends, which are both loaded and attached to
the search path.  Modifying the search path can break user scripts.

Duncan Murdoch