[Rd] sequence divided by data.frame

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Fri Aug 21 08:02:18 CEST 2015

The first two behave as expected for vectors, because they are both
(at least implicitly) vectors in that usage. But a data.frame is a
tabular structure, so it's not obvious how to recycle it, nor does an
implicit coercion to matrix/vector seem justified. Thus, R attempts to
"recycle" the vector to fit the data.frame, even to the extent that
the vector is truncated (a warning could be justified here). You
should probably just be coercing to matrix in these situations. A
heterogeneous table is not really meant for arithmetic.

Michael