[Rd] R CMD check and missing imports from base packages

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 19:57:09 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Gabriel Becker <gmbecker at ucdavis.edu>
wrote:

> Gabor,
>
> To play devil's advocate a bit,  why not just have the package formally
> import the functions it wants to use (or the whole package if that is
> easier)?

This is exactly my goal. And to facilitate this, R CMD check could remind
you if you forgot to do the formal import.

You don't want to require people to import things like the assignment
> operator, or "if", or a bunch of other things in the base package (and
> probably not the stuff in grDevices either, though from your description
> they would in principle need to do that now).

I am not talking about the 'base' package, only the other base packages.
(The base package is special, it is searched before the attached packages,
so it is probably fine.)

Yes, I suggest people import stuff from grDevices explicitly. Because if
they don't, their package might break if used together with other packages.
And this is not a theoretical issue, in the past couple of weeks I have
seen this happening three times.

But why should stats not require an import if you want to guarantee that
> you get the density function from stats and not from somewhere else? Isn't
> that what ImportFrom is for? Is the reason that it is loaded automatically?

That's exactly what I am saying, sorry if it was not clear. I want to
"require" format imports from base packages (except from _the_ base
package, maybe).

Yes, people can do this already. But why not help them with a NOTE if they
don't know that this is good practice, or they just simply forget?

Gabor