[Rd] Intel Fortran compiler returns a -1 TRUE value

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 14:59:40 CEST 2014

On 30/09/2014 8:39 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Duncan Murdoch
> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com <mailto:murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     This appears to be user error.  According to Writing R Extensions, the
>     Fortran type corresponding to R logical is INTEGER, not LOGICAL.
>

> Oh yes, a very old and long-standing user error. I assume the CRAN
> checks don't check this.

The checks can't really see that kind of thing:  they don't understand
the external languages.  It's up to the user to follow the instructions
in most cases.

> Has it ever been okay to pass logicals to Fortran?

It's okay to pass R logicals to Fortran (where they become INTEGER),
it's just not okay to pass Fortran LOGICALs to R. The gcc Fortran
compilers treat logicals the same as C does (i.e. 0 and 1 for FALSE and
TRUE), but others don't, as you found out.

Duncan Murdoch