[Rd] How to test impact of candidate changes to package?

Kirill Müller kirill.mueller at ivt.baug.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 10 12:12:34 CEST 2014

If you don't intend to keep the old business logic in the long run,
perhaps a version control system such as Git can help you. If you use it
in single-user mode, you can think of it as a backup system where you
manually create each snapshot and give it a name, but it actually can do
much more. For your use case, you can open a new *branch* where you
implement your changes, and implement your testing logic simultaneously
in both branches (using *merge* operations). The system handles
switching between branches, so you can really perform invasive changes,
and revert if you find that a particular change breaks something.

RStudio has Git support, but you probably need to use the shell to
create a branch. On Windows or OS X the GitHub client helps you to get
started.

Cheers

Kirill