[Rd] r wiki

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 19:04:31 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Baptiste Auguie
<baptiste.auguie at gmail.com> wrote:
> One small technical issue currently limiting the deployment of true
> reproducible wikis based on knitr + github-markdown is the lack of reverse
> synchronisation between the rendered output (markdown), edited online, and
> the original Rmd source.

The idea is that you would edit the (r)md file on github, e.g. like this:
https://github.com/gaborcsardi/r-wiki-engine/edit/wiki/welcome.md
You need to fork to do it, unless you are a collaborator.

If you use .md file extensions instead of .rmd, then you even get a
preview. (You can still treat the files as Rmd, of course when
building the web site.) Then, when you save your edit (and are a
collaborator), your edit will be a commit, and Travis will build the
new version of the web page.

If you are not a collaborator, then you need to submit a pull request,
and whenever this is
OK-d, the wiki and web pages will be updated.

It is not exactly a real wiki, but probably as close as you can get
with free services and without setting up a server.

Another possibility would be using the wikis Github provides, for
editing, but one would still need to build the web pages with Travis,
to run the R code, so I am not sure how much that would be better.

The good thing with this setup is, that you can switch to a dedicated
server later, as all the build tools are open-source. Then you would
get a real wiki, but the effort you need is much bigger.

Gabor