[Rd] DIY Rtools?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 22:54:08 CET 2014

On 30/10/2014, 2:45 PM, kaveh wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I'm currently working on an R package that
> works great when compiled with GCC 4.8 under linux
> but which doesn't seem to work so well when compiled
>   by the win builder (http://win-builder.r-project.org/).
>
> After asking around a bit, the primary culprit could be
> the older version of GCC used in Rtools.
>
> Now, for academic purposes, I would like to have
>   a zip version of this package (not to distribute
> through CRAN mind you, but to submit alongside
>   the associated paper).
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> -Am I correct to think that Rtool uses GCC 4.6.3?

Yes.

> -If so, is there a way to build windows runable R
> package using a more recent version of GCC?

Yes, you need to install one (I've been told they are available from the
MinGW-64 project) on your path, then just use it.  If it needs different
options from the ones that 4.6.3 needed, it will be slightly more work:
 you'll need to edit the Makefile, or Makevars, or MkRules.* files in
src/gnuwin32 to put those options in place.

Unlike other platforms, the Windows builds have no "configuration" step,
that's all done by hand (usually by Brian Ripley, thanks!).  If you
change to a different compiler, you may need to change some of that.

Our plans are to switch to a newer compiler before the release of R
3.2.0 in the spring, but I won't promise when new Rtools will be available.

Duncan Murdoch