[Rd] Is this an incorrect use of the R-API?

Utkarsh Upadhyay musically.ut at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 17:13:10 CEST 2014

Hi,

I am trying to create a small extension for R here for embedding the
current time on the R prompt: https://github.com/musically-ut/extPrompt

Things seem to be working overall, but `R CMD check .` raised a warning:

> File '[truncated]..Rcheck/extPrompt/libs/extPrompt.so’:
>  Found non-API call to R: ‘ptr_R_ReadConsole’
>
> Compiled code should not call non-API entry points in R.

The concerned file is this:
https://github.com/musically-ut/extPrompt/blob/master/src/extPrompt.c and
occurs on line 38, I think [1].

I am trying to make the R_ReadConsole API call. However, since a different
plugin (like mine) could have overridden it already, I do not want to
directly invoke `R_ReadConsole` but the function which previously was at
`ptr_R_ReadConsole`.

Is this an incorrect use of the API?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Utkarsh Upadhyay
http://musicallyut.in

[1]: I am impressed at how well the static code analysis works for R CMD
check.